Monday, August 25, 2008

My V8 vs. Your Hybrid

Ooooohh---I bet I bet that makes your skin tingle, right?? The hybrid is the righteous little guy with the synergy drive, single handedly saving us from the oil crisis. The V8 is a boisterous and gas guzzling waste-mongrel, mangling the diminutive supply of petrol remaining. My gripe isn't actually the hybrid. It's the hybrid drivers, most of them. They look over at me, nose in the air, scoffing at my rumbly little Underdog Nova.

I laugh every time I pass a Steakhouse with Hybrid mobiles choking the Valet lot. I chuckle when I peak inside and see a well-equipped Hybrid bathed with leather interior. I emit nothing short of a chortle when the Hybrid lovin' nation totes home their succulent goods flown in from half way around the world.

My point? I have several. Let me expound.

Firstly, some of the most disgusting and air-f0uling emissions out there comes from my friend, the cow. I do not eat the cow. I do not believe we should mass produce the cow like this poor creature is living simply to be your steak, your boot, your belt. It's feces ends up in what we lovingly call a "lagoon." Sounds nice, right? It ain't. It's a festering, steamy pond of cow shit that actually eats away our ozone at levels way above what comes out of the Nova's exhaust pipe. Surprised? That's right. The Nova's dual exhaust is way less harmful than a herd of cows' asses.

Pack the Hybrid with leather, and you have this complete wash of anything that the little righteous-mobile was actually campaigning towards. So the car was halfway there, and then---yep, missed it! Now, these cows, manufactured by a completely industrialized and heartless system, die for your car. And their lagoon? It will exist for a very very long time.

My point further??

The goods from around the world. That's pretty self explanatory. Buy local, people. Local. I will talk plenty more on here about farmers. But planes = emissions.

What's more, hybrid drivers, you hate me, I know. I'm cool with that. Have you ever asked the driver of a classic car how much they drive it? What kind of mileage it actually gets? Here's some news...Mine? 18 MPG. Better than a lot of new cars. And not that much, i.e. to shows, on pretty days, and for testing out new parts. And when I am stuck in traffic next to a Hybrid, I always look over and make sure to smile at the driver.

The reaction? Almost always a smirk.

Skeptically Yours.


*For those of you out there that drive a Hybrid, can explain Hybrid Synergy Drive, forgo leather, and understand the concept of reduce, reuse and recycle, I applaud you. Don't smirk at me.

No comments: