Tuesday, January 17, 2012

My Last Weekend as a Blonde



Changes have been running through my life at a rapid pace, and I've been rolling with the punches.  One thing I'm not skeptical about, (surprised, aren't you?) is change. Change has always been something I eagerly embrace, and so in these crazy days of change after change, I feel like finally I understand where I stand on most issues, most of my desires, and many of my flaws.  Change has recently brought on a huge appreciation of freedom...not "freedom" in terms of a relationship/no relationship, but "freedom" in the sense of making my own decisions, and sort of just opening up the throttle. 

This weekend, in Austin TX, I spent my time with a treasured, amazing friend...running the Texas roads in a 412 hp Mustang GT we named "Melba".  While I taught her how to impress guys by saying stuff like, "That's a good note for stock exhaust" and shooting a .357, I was subconsciously learning a few things behind the scenes about myself.

I prefer to be the supporter.  I loved teaching her to shoot and seeing the target get shredded just left of center as she learned to breathe properly, I loved hearing her nail the rolling joke about the Mustang's exhaust every time I put my foot down.  I kept hoping there would come a moment, somewhere in an Austin parking lot, when she'd get to publicly use it.  No dice this time, but we'll keep trying.

So as the changes keep coming, I'm resorting to a tried and true of method of getting through them as gracefully as I can...by being myself. Out with the blonde! Out with the insecurities!  Bring on the Led Zeppelin Tee Shirt, the Converse, the Brunette!

And in with the loyal, faithful, and fun Bigskeptic I used to be. 

Lastly, I learned that when in doubt of self, a long stretch of highway in a fast car can cure the blues most quickly...

What's that Mary?  It's got a good note for stock exhaust??  It sure does.

Skeptically Yours.


Melba.

No comments: